Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Chanel Haute Couture Outfit in the Making

Haute couture in French translates to high fashion. Couture which means dress making, sewing or needlework along with the word haute, meaning elegant or high when combined implies excellent artistry in fashioning of garments.

"The purchase of a haute couture model garment is at the top level of hand customized fashion design and clothing construction made by a couture design house. A model haute couture garment is made specifically for the wearer's measurements and body stance. The made to measure exclusive clothes are virtually made by hand, carefully interlined, stay taped and fitted to perfection for each client. "

Haute couture is about the quality, the hours of workmanship, finest materials and of course a unique design to boot. A haute couture garment could take anywhere from 100 to 150 hours to produce a suit while an embellished evening gown could take up to 1000 hours.

*taken from here*

The major fashion houses recently showed their haute couture collections for this coming season. I have yet to take the time to go through the collections but I really wanted to share this video that I came across while reading Couture Snob.



If you haven't already realized, I am a fan of Chanel for its classic and elegant pieces although Karl Lagerfeld sometimes have me wondering if he has lost his mind. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy the video as much as I do. The painstaking labor it takes to produce a six-figure garment in the video enables me to appreciate haute couture a little more although I would never in this lifetime own a piece of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment